What will happen when you join:
- In the first week, Matt will assign you a mentor. If you don’t hear from Matt within a week, call him at (535) 680-9680 or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Shortly after Matt assigns you a mentor, your mentor will contact you. The mentor’s job will be to introduce you to the club and get you started.
- About 6-8 weeks after joining, you will receive your Toastmasters New Member Packet in the mail. The packet will include the two main manuals. About the same time, you will also start receiving the monthly Toastmasters magazine in the mail.
While you’re waiting for your New Member Packet to arrive, here are some things you can do to get started:
- Make sure you’re signed up for the Istanbul Toastmasters Yahoo Group. That group is our club’s email list — if you’re not on that group, you won’t get the agendas, meeting announcements, etc.
- Familiarize yourself with the various roles people are playing at the meetings. Start signing up for some basic roles (Timer, Vote Counter, etc).
- Download and read The Icebreaker (pdf, 145kb). This is the first chapter in the Competent Communicator manual. It will be your first prepared speech to the club.
- Read some back issues of the Toastmasters magazine.
- Download and read Your Speaking Voice (pdf, 2 megs), Gestures: Your Body Speaks (pdf, 1 meg), and Effective Evaluation (pdf, 632kb).
- If that’s still not enough for you, there’s more member info on the Toastmasters website.